QSC Director, Ashley Moore, considers UK workplace incident statistics and shares his thoughts on improving site safety.
“According to 2014/15 HSE statistics, in the West and East Midlands last year, 25 people were killed of an overall 142 workers who lost their lives in Great Britain whilst at work.
At QSC, we work tirelessly with our clients to prevent the loss of innocent lives and urge others to follow our lead.
One sector in particular which has always recorded higher than average loss of life statistics is Construction. It’s time to break the mold now and from directors to site operatives get everyone putting safety at the forefront of everything they do, no matter how large or small the site.
Here’s just a few simply considerations to get started.
- Ensure jobs that involve working at height are properly planned and the appropriate precautions in place.
- Ensure equipment is correctly installed / assembled, inspected and maintained.
- Ensure sites are well organised to avoid slips, trips and falls.
- Ensure walkways and stairs are free from obstruction.
- Ensure work areas are clear of unnecessary materials and waste.
- Ensure suitable PPE, including head protection is provided and worn at all times.
I’ve often found making simple checks and changes to working practices can make a big difference, and can even save lives.
Is your site prepared to work safely? Let’s protect our people whilst they’re trying to earn a living and put food on the table for their families.